Getting active during Men’s Health Awareness Month
This month November becomes “Movember” across the globe - the campaign that raises awareness of men’s health. The campaign organisers’ advice includes making time for man talk and moving more. Get Out Get Active (GOGA) is encouraging men across its 18 UK locations to find an activity right for them.
The state of men’s health is in crisis. Across the world, men die an average six years younger than women do, and for reasons that are largely preventable. Which means that it doesn’t have to be that way: we can all take action to live healthier, happier and longer lives.
The Movember Foundation addresses the crisis at a global level. They create positive change for men’s health by raising awareness and educating men year-round, and through our take-over of the month formerly known as November.
A Movember survey showed that while 70% of men say their friends could rely on them for support only 48% say that they would rely on their friends! In other words men are happy to listen to other people’s problems but not so happy to talk about their own.
As well as finding time to talk, another health tip from the Movember Foundation is to move more. Add more activity to your day. Do more of what makes you feel good. This could be by:
- Take a walking meeting
- Park further away from the station
- Get off the bus a stop or two earlier
- Instead of the lift, take the stairs, or
- Cycle to work instead of driving
Most of us know that leading a healthy, active lifestyle can be beneficial for our physical and mental wellbeing. But, what happens if you don’t know where to start? Many of us find it a daunting experience. Where do I go? Who will help me? What activity is right for me?
If you live in a GOGA location, you may want to contact a local partner. GOGA is an exciting programme that supports disabled and non-disabled people to enjoy being active together. It runs for over three years (2016-2019) and within 18 localities across the UK. We have teamed up with an extensive range of partners to help us reach more people, who have the greatest need to get out and get active. These partners offer in-depth local knowledge and national expertise.
Funded by Spirit of 2012, all partners are focused on getting some of the UK's least active people moving more through fun and inclusive activities. We want more people to feel the benefits of improved physical and mental health.
Here are a few GOGA activities taking place in November:
- Lincolnshire: Virtual Gym sessions for over 55s running on Fridays throughout November, 2:30pm at Station Sports Centre in Mablethorpe. Contact Lindsay Barrett via email Barrett@mvtlc.org
- Lincolnshire: Veteran Fit Golf sessions running on Fridays throughout November at 1:30 at RAF Coningsby Golf course. Contact Lindsay Barrett by email Barrett@mvtlc.org
- Wandsworth: Sporting Memories sessions running on Thursdays throughout November at 11:00am at the Manresa Centre in Roehampton. Contact for the session is Peter Freeman, email PFreeman@wandsworth.gov.uk