Fitness marketing and engagement
Inclusive marketing is about identifying the needs of the audiences (including disabled people) and meeting or exceeding those expectations through services or products.
We always advise IFI facilities that they disabled people should know about inclusive fitness opportunities available to them in the local area and how they can become physically active. This is a key activity that helps facilities to get more return on their investment within their service provision. It takes these sort of activities to support more people can enjoy inclusive fitness on their doorstep.
The IFI team is here to assist you with resources, advice and support to market and engage more effectively so more people within the local community can use your facility.
Firstly, it is necessary to remove barriers to encourage more disabled people to become and stay physically active. An IFI Mark facility should ensure:
- A positive member experience
- Inclusive images are used within marketing material
- Suitable equipment and accessibility throughout
- Staff are trained in disability awareness and provide a positive customer service
- Disabled members play an active role in forums, organising events etc.
- Inclusive signposting of opportunities
To increase the opportunities for disabled people to take part in regular physical activity, it is vital that facilities communicate good practice to their current and potential members.
Here are some simple things to do:
- Identify potential users groups; local disability groups (within all impairment groups), GP referrals, local public and voluntary organisations
- Set up a disability forum to ensure that you are meeting the needs of your disabled users
- Host an open day and run taster sessions
- Monitor usage so that you can see what works
To support facilities so they can enjoy the benefits of an inclusive venue, we have developed a 'Marketing Gyms to Disabled People Kitbag'. This is available for IFI Mark facilities to download free of charge. Please email the IFI team and we will provide you with a password/username to access the kitbag.
If you require any further advice, tools, photography or support on inclusive fitness marketing please email us.