Marketing and Engagement
Inclusive marketing is about making disabled people feel inspired that a service or product is relevant or accessible to them.
As an IFI facility you should ensure that disabled people in your local area learn about the opportunities that are available to them through inclusive fitness and how they can become physically active. This is the only way you’ll receive a return on the investment you have made within your service provision– inclusive fitness will not sell itself!
We are here to assist you with resources, advice and support to market and engage within your local community to ensure that more disabled people and the inactive population use your facility.
Firstly, it is paramount that barriers are removed to encourage more disabled people to become physically active. An IFI Mark facility should ensure:
- A positive member experience
- Inclusive images are used within marketing material
- Suitable equipment and accessibility throughout
- Staff are trained in disability awareness and provide a positive customer service
- Disabled members play an active role in forums, organising events etc.
- Inclusive signposting of opportunities
To increase the opportunities for disabled people to take part in regular physical activity, it is vital that you communicate your facility's good practice to your current and potential members. Here are some simple things to do:-
- Identify potential users groups; local disability groups (all impairments), GP referrals, local public and voluntary organisations
- Set up a disability forum to ensure that you are meeting the needs of your disabled users
- Host an open day and taster sessions
- Monitor usage so that you can see what works?
To support you to achieve the above we have developed a 'Marketing Gyms to Disabled People Kitbag' which is available for IFI Mark facilities to download. Email the IFI and we'll provide you with a password and username to access the kitbag.
If you require an further marketing advice, tools, photography, support and advice on inclusive marketing please email us.